Saturday, October 16, 2010

more on the difficulty of ease

My best girl (friend) reminded me of this one, today . . .

Recently, we've had major rounds of thunder, lightning, and windstorms, here in the moody autumnal Northeastern U.S.

For me, on the literal edge of a State Forest, that means power outages. Frequent power outages (wtf with "blackouts" and "brownouts," gente? mm hmm).

One of those knocked my router off its normal course of behavior, so I did what any normal person would do: I reset the thing.

At which point, I was again online, but my network had disappeared.

So I reset it again. And again. And again.

Then I said to PJ, "Remind me I fucked up the router. I'll fix it tomorrow."

PJ reminded me thusly, "Hey! I can't get online!"

Oh. Um. Right.

I continued on my quest to reset the pinche router. I was way deep into the advanced settings, wondering what the fuck I did wrong . . .

We rebooted the router manually.

I was in the midst of rebooting my computer system, also, when I said aloud, "Maybe I should also turn off my firewall? That could be causing a significant issue . . ."

Duh.

Mi gente: you cannot, cannot, expect to tweak certain outgoing or incoming 'net services, from behind a firewall.

After momentarily disabling my cloak, I reset the router once, and all was well.

Then I put the firewall back in place.

Things to know, before one wastes time, tilting at windmills.


From an expert on wasted time,

~Emmanuela

No comments: