Sunday, May 27, 2007

So, I Started a Photo Project . . .


Several years ago, I began photographing butches, studs, and transpersons who were my lovers, my friends. All were first-time models; few wanted their images publicly displayed on the internet. I have a great repository of photos I cannot include in my public portfolio, in respect for the subjects.

Eventually, people began coming to me by referrals from friends. These new subjects actually wanted to create a new sense of visibility for the non-traditional types of masculinity they represented and with which they identified. I was able to begin building a small public gallery dedicated to my love of butches, studs, AGs, and masculine-identified trans persons . . . but my work was still local.

So I put out an open call to the various LGBTIQ communities. The responses have been overwhelming and, despite the fact that I work on the East Coast of the U.S., there is considerable interest from the West Coast and Canada.

As a femme, I can't pretend to know realties other than my own. All I can do is respect each person who wishes to participate.

The project is worthy, because the focus is on those too often unseen, willfully misinterpreted, ridiculed, and reviled. I want to be a part of changing that.

Read more about the particulars for this work by following the link on this page.

~Emmanuela

No comments: