Wednesday, April 20, 2011

art auction for new lesbian film

Kada Films is in preproduction for a new lesbian film, to be called Life Abstract, starring Deak Evgenikos, of Itty Bitty Titty Committee recent history (I think this time, sans spectacles).

The filmmakers are sponsored, in part, by two wonderful organizations: The American Art Therapy Association, and AidsUnited. A percentage of the proceedings from the film are given to these groups.

Fundraising for the film is coming, at this time, in the form of an art auction: artists working in varying media have donated pieces, on which you, the public, can bid for a limited time.

The plot of the film centers around a young artist who is working out her history of childhood abuse through art, and uncertain she's able or willing to love. This speaks to many of us, no?

When the filmmakers approached me, to donate art for the auction, I said their work made perfect sense to me, so they could have their choice of whatever they liked, from my website. They chose a piece I'd only recently added to the Art of Scars portfolio, "La Espalda Sufría," which I actually never intended to sell, as it represents a very personal moment between Rebecca and me. I'm thus offering it at the auction as a limited edition.

Due to the fact so much of the work at the auction is in an upper price range, I suggested to the filmmakers I could perhaps donate works I could price lower, so not everything would be cost-prohibitive to younger lesbians (which are, after all, their viewing audience). They agreed, so look for more pieces, in a more affordable price range.

I do hope you'll support the making of this film. We can, through community effort, bring together something worth seeing.

And, of course, Deak Evgenikos deserves stronger lead roles *s

~Emmanuela

No comments: